They just did it: Nike enters political arena with Kaepernick as new spokesperson

Nike Advertisement featuring Colin Kaepernick

Ryan Young

An advertisement released by Nike to air during the NFL’s season opener that exemplifies Colin Kaepernick’s protest of the National Anthem has caused hundreds of people to boycott Nike, and even some to burn Nike gear in viral videos across the internet.

Former Quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, Kaepernick has entered the media spotlight once again, this time as the newest spokesperson for Nike’s 30th anniversary of the Just Do It campaign.

After accusing the NFL of colluding to keep him from the field after his National Anthem protest led to all time low ratings, Kaepernick has emerged again in a similar divisive role.

Nike’s ad features Kaepernick with a slogan that reads, “Believe in something, Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Kaepernick has claimed that his protest of the National Anthem was to bring attention to the abuse of the black community from police officers nationwide, yet many view his kneeling as an act of disrespect to the men and women who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice their lives for America’s freedom.

The NFL, in an effort to regain viewership and to strengthen their support for America, recently ruled that players must stand for the National Anthem or face team fines.

Now at the start of the 2018 NFL season, Kaepernick and the National Anthem protests reignite, this time centered around the most valuable sports brand.

Immediately after the release of the advertisement, Nike’s stock began to fall. In less 24 hours Nike lost nearly four billion dollars in market cap alone, while thousands of fans are petitioning to boycott all Nike goods.

Nike’s favorability rating dropped from 69% to 39% after the advertisement featuring Kaepernick was released.

Once again the American people are forced to decide whether they will “stand up” for America by boycotting something that has been cherished for decades.

About the Writer
Ryan Young, Editor-In-Chief

I grew up here in PA, but spent the last 8 years in CA and just returned to finish out my Senior year at Greater Latrobe. It’s great to be back here--...