PSSA Prep Strategies

PSSA Prep Strategies

An important part of a student’s high school career is the PSSA testing during their junior year. As these tests begin, all students, especially current juniors, are reminded and encouraged to take note of the following preparation strategies.

• Take Advantage of Labs – Utilize the math and writing labs where teachers and tutors are present to help prepare for the PSSAs.
  • Schedule Test Prep Courses – Another more formal option for students is to take the Pre-College Reading and Test Prep course that Mrs. Snyder and Mr. Murray teach.  Throughout the semester, students work closely with the math department to focus on test strategies that boost both knowledge in English, math, and writing. 
  • Preparation through Preexisting Classes – Test prep strategy is incorporated into preexisting English, math, and science courses, where for a few weeks a class may focus on reviewing specific topics pertaining to the PSSAs.
  • Keep Good Attendance – The knowledge obtained in school and in classes usually translates over to standardized test scores. Students who have low attendance or truancy issues typically have a lower score on their standardized tests.
  • Get a Good Night’s Rest! – As with other tests, it is important to get enough sleep the night before the PSSAs.
  • Eat a Nutritional Breakfast – Whether at home or in the cafeteria, test takers are encouraged to eat a good and healthy breakfast to stay focused during the entire exam.
  • Put Forth the Best Effort – Students are encouraged to try their best during each test.
  • Realize PSSAs Effects on Future – Juniors should pay special attention to their final PSSAs as their scores become grades that are factored into the GPA and account for an earned credit towards graduation. This grade and credit will be reported on the first quarter report card for students during their senior year.