Greater Latrobe Benefiting The Community

Students+created+bowls+to+send+to+the+Westmoreland+County+Food+Bank++

Students created bowls to send to the Westmoreland County Food Bank

Each year Greater Latrobe Senior High school participates in several donation activities, raising money for those in need around the area. Amy Balko’s ceramics classes take a unique part in donations. Balko’s classes make ceramic bowls on the pottery wheels and by hand. All bowls made, if the students choose, will be donated to the Westmorland food Bank for their “empty bowl” ceremony. The school has participated a total of eight times.The “empty bowl” ceremony gives people in need the opportunity to eat a good meal but also be able to have bowls to keep.

Balko was originally contacted by Karen Piper, the original chair of the Westmoreland County Food Bank, to help in creating bowls to donate and each year from then on she continued it in her classes. The students will receive a grade for their bowls as it is now apart of her syllabus for the class.
Each year around one hundred bowls are donated. “Although it is a required project for the class, I think the students are happy to donate their creations to this worthwhile cause,I think it’s a wonderful way for the students to give their time and talents for their community. It lets them be a part of something that is bigger than themselves.” said Balko.
Rachel Garbeglio, currently a senior and also a member of the National Art Honor Society club agrees that it’s a great cause. “I think it’s a great idea because it puts a fun twist on a good cause, It not only allows students to express themselves through their individual bowl,, but also it’s nice to know that your bowl will go to someone who will appreciate it just as much as you do at that event,” said Garbeglio.
This year’s Empty Bowl Ceremony will be on March 2017. The ceremony will be held from noon till 5 o’clock pm at Hempfield High School in the cafeteria. The funds and bowls will benefit the Westmoreland County Food Bank.
By donating fifteen dollars, you will receive your choice of over a thousand handcrafted bowls, soup from over thirty local restaurants will provide bread from the CWCTC and Panera Bread. Throughout the day there will be entertainment along with snacks and beverages. Some other events through the day will be a 50/50 raffle, a chinese auction, and a silent auction.